Sunday, October 10, 2010

At the Fair

So, I live in Tennessee.  That's pretty country.  I am not, however, country.  I need my civilization - you know, stores with sections and places that cut hair with trendy paint jobs instead of lace curtains and mauve wall borders and Dunkin' Donuts.

I mean, I love having the option of pretending I'm country for about 5 minutes.  I like driving past farms with horses and other animals and shopping at farmers' markets and dreaming about photographing those awesome old barns that dot the landscape. 

That's why the county fair is right up my alley - I can go, stare at someone's monstrosity of a cow, marvel at how bad it smells, wonder how on earth one grows a tomato the size of my skull (more importantly: why), eat some deliciously greasy food, and go home to the comfort of my indoor plumbing, in my minivan with its DVD players.


Everyone around us kept talking about what a beautiful specimen this thing was.  All I could do was try not to gag at how stinky it's urine was. 
The kids were having fun!
Jordan was a little "nature"'ed out at this point.  Don't think Daddy minded the snuggles!

So I would have been appalled at this duckling exhibit if it weren't so hilarious.  The ducks would climb up one side, which was grippy, try to get food out of that trough, but fail, since it's just a little too far for them to reach, and end up sliding down the other side into the pool of water below, then swim back and start over again.  Loved it.  AND we got to hold a baby duck!  (Well, Jack did.  Darnit.)

Since we're being all country here, I'll throw in an obligatory "I love America" photo.  (Go ahead, hum your Toby Keith song, I'll allow it.)


Chicken on a stick - mmm!  Don't get me started on how many things I had to skewer for him for the week after the fair. 

A kid and his balloon - there's not a lot cuter.

And at the end of the day, we have two little bumpkins who were very happy to be heading home after all the animal/food/nature excitement from the day.

Yee haw.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Oh, there's nothing like the fair to make you feel all country! Our county fair is close to home, and I love the animals, the booths, the crazy food. You took some great shots; makes me wish I hadn't missed our fair this summer!

Mama M. said...

Fairs are, well...interesting, aren't they?! I dunno 'bout you, but our county fair is quite the spectacle. It's like all the weirds crawl out of the wood work to go to the fair.

Wait...if I'm there with them, what does that say about me?

Mama M. said...

Fairs are, well...interesting, aren't they?! I dunno 'bout you, but our county fair is quite the spectacle. It's like all the weirds crawl out of the wood work to go to the fair.

Wait...if I'm there with them, what does that say about me?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What I Write About...

babyfood making (14) blogging (30) Brain Vomit (11) breastfeeding (3) bugs (2) children (88) cooking (5) crafts (1) family (28) friendship (10) germs (4) house (6) housework (41) humor (50) life (60) manners (3) marriage (12) me (40) parenting (46) pet bunny (5) photographs (64) politics (1) pregnancy (15) recipes (2) reflections (50) relationships (5) school (2) summer (10) toddler food (5) TV (3) twins (19) weird (4)