Friday, April 24, 2009

Showers, Doctors, a Rabbit and a Padded Room

So apparently my BFFs decided to throw me a surprise baby shower last weekend. Totally worked because I had no idea. Justin was in on it, so was Morgan and pretty much everyone I know, thanks to Kasey and Amber's tenacity. I'm just sorry more people couldn't make it from out of town - I miss you guys! I can't even begin to give thanks and shout-outs to everyone for their sweet gifts and awesome contributions on this blog because I know I'll leave someone out - but needless to say, the "Galla-girls" (How cute is that?! It was on the invitations!) are hooked up to the max for just about everything. I even have a bunch of amazing guy friends from college who got together on the high-chair we've been wanting forever! But aside from all the cute pink goodies, it was really REALLY awesome to connect with the wives on our boat that I haven't met or haven't seen in forever, and to hang out with other lady friends from around the area WITHOUT a kid to worry about and just gab. Well, gab and eat. It was an awesome surprise and I feel so SO fortunate to have the incredible friends I do. I'm done or I'm going to get sappy. But it rocked.

And it's a good think it happened when it did. I'm 33 weeks, and had a doctor's appointment yesterday, kicking off the super-duper fun span of once-a-week appointments from here on out. There are times when I feel like I HAVE to be close and other times when I'm positive they're going to have to schedule an induction for 38 weeks. Thus far I'm fine - mild contractions occasionally, puffy legs and ankles, ONE solitary stretch mark (damnit) on my hip, a wonky bikini line, and an outty belly button... the chunksters are still head-down and growing well. One more week and I'll have avoided bed rest ENTIRELY! Woot! After 34 weeks they don't try to stop labor if the girls want out.

Luckily I finished the chair. Just need to quickly get the ottoman done, get the shelves and curtains put up, and we're in business. Pictures of nursery to follow in the next week or so.

And finally, Enzo seems to be doing really well. I weaned his dumb ass off of his pain meds when I realized he was jumping up on top of the cardboard box I had put in his cage. Not only that, but he was digging at the top of the box and chewing chunks of cardboard off it. Come on, dude couldn't have been in THAT much pain. Besides, he was getting slightly addicted to the meds (to the point where he'd rip the syringe out of my hand when I put it near his mouth, hop away with it and fiendishly chew/lick/suck on it.) He seems to be eating just fine and has pretty good spirits. I'm going to let him run around on the 3rd floor this evening for awhile and see how he does and if it hurts, he might get another (small!) dose of his meds. The elbow feels like a giant lump and he holds his arm across his chest like a... well... you can picture it. It's funny. I make a "duuuuuuurrrrr" noise at him whenever I see him because, well, it seems appropriate.

Once his stupid self is fixed enough to rejoin the family downstairs (AFTER the girls get here) he'll be happy to note that I've replaced the coffee table of death with a cheapie ottoman-style mini coffee table from Bed Bath and Beyond. It looks a little goofy because it's about a third the size of the wrought-iron/slate one that claimed his elbow, but it's entirely safe for toddlers and rabbits alike and therefore has my anxiety level WAY down. Jack has taken up dancing as one of his favorite activities - and his brand of dancing includes lots of spinning, jumping and head-banging. I can't even describe how many times he has nearly taken a header into the table and I have a small heart attack every time it happens, so I finally put my foot down, made Justin hide our beautiful table in our bedroom, and splurged on the ottoman. People, we are a few VERY SMALL steps away from having a padded room. Keep that in mind. That's where I'm at with my life right now. Padded rooms.

Anyway, off to go start my day and enjoy "Melissa Time" before the tot gets up!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

One stretch mark...I hate you. ;o) Have a great weekend!

Christine:) said...

Congratulations on making it almost through!!! I am so excited for you and can't wait to see pics of the shower and the babies' room:) (and the padded room, should one ever be constructed...it might even come in handy for YOU to sit in when you have 3 toddlers and a bunny one day in the future;)
C:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What I Write About...

babyfood making (14) blogging (30) Brain Vomit (11) breastfeeding (3) bugs (2) children (88) cooking (5) crafts (1) family (28) friendship (10) germs (4) house (6) housework (41) humor (50) life (60) manners (3) marriage (12) me (40) parenting (46) pet bunny (5) photographs (64) politics (1) pregnancy (15) recipes (2) reflections (50) relationships (5) school (2) summer (10) toddler food (5) TV (3) twins (19) weird (4)