Monday, May 24, 2010

My Little Girls are One!

Well, on Saturday I got to celebrate the culmination of our first year with our precious twin girls.  I've been a giant ball of emotions as I reflect on the profound achievement their birthday represents... The struggles and challenges of this past year have been, at times, overwhelming, but the triumphs and joys have been breathtaking and far outweigh any of the difficulties.  From their birth onward, Addie and Jordan have been nothing short of astounding to me... And like a baby does not select how he enters the world, neither have my girls been at fault for much of the stress that has permeated the last 12 months.  However, what makes my heart swell with love and pride is the fact that the same stress would have been overpowering without their big velvety eyes staring earnestly into mine and their sweet smiles reassuring me that there is always a plan and their creamy skin for receiving my kisses to ease my nerves.

There is no doubt in my mind that Jordan and Addie are incredible little people... the only doubt I have is my ability to be the Mommy they deserve.  So, I hold on to that doubt and use it to drive me to be better.  From their conception, Addie and Jordan have ensured that I wake up every morning and have to actively work at being a mother - to them and to Jack - and at being a wife and woman as well.

Jack has been phenomenal also.  He has handled the entire transition so well - embracing his role as big brother just as solidly as he embraced his role as my baby boy over 3 years ago.  He takes his job seriously - all aspects - from protecting them and making them laugh when they're upset or ordering me to feed them when they cry to hurling balls directly at their heads or whomping them in the event that they play with his stuff.

Our whole family has grown.  Not just in that we have gone from a family of 3 to a family of 5, but we've become stronger, closer, more resilient and have overcome a hefty amount of adversity through nothing more than our love for one another - narrowing our focus so that we see only what is truly important despite what may be going on around us.

Addie and Jordan.  You are so much to so many.  The world is fortunate for your births and I am fortunate to have been chosen to be a part of that.  I can't believe how much you've grown this past year, and I am beyond excited to watch each new day unfold.  Thank you, for all you've given me, my babies.


(By the way, this post also counts as my entry in Mom 'n Me Monday at The Peanut Gallery!)

12 comments:

L D said...

Aww, congrats, Melissa! Those pictures are phenomenal ... and I love Mommy's Wine at the very end. Cake is for wussies (and kids).

Kate said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful little girls!! Isn't is amazing how quickly time passes once we became mothers? So not fair!

Loved their birthday cake - did you make it? And the smash cakes...precious.

You're a phenomenal woman, Melis. Just sayin.

Stacey said...

What a sweet post. Happy Birthday to your little ones! I love the pictures!

Amber said...

You embraced being a Mommy to twins from the first day you were told you were having them! I remember your giddy smile laughing about however in the world were you going to be able to handle 3 kids under 3! I remember sitting at the playground when you took out your pregnancy test...from a McDonald's bag! hahahaha...Your girls are beautiful and we love them and Jack as a part of our family. I think you are a fantastic Mom and have embraced chaos with a smile....Good job Mama!

Candice said...

Happy birthday A & J. Love the cake smash pics.

Julie said...

Wow...very moved by your sweet words about your daughters. I can totally sense your deep love for your family. So cool!!

Loved the cakes..did you make them? ANd I love how Jack got his own little star. Just perfect!

Tanya said...

Crap...did my comment not go through??

Anyway...

Happy Birthday to the most beautiful Gallagirls! We're so sad we weren't able to be there to celebrate with y'all! I can't believe you two have grown up so fast!

Mama...congrats on raising two amazing 1YOs and an awesome 3YO. You've done a terrific job! Also, killer job on those cakes!! They are amazing!!! You're such a great mom making such special memories for the girls!

We miss y'all and hope things are going well!!

Sonora said...

This post gave me chills. Congratulations on making it to one. I know how hard the first year is (well, up to nine months). What a beautiful tribute to your sweet babies and your family. Happy Happy Birthday!!!

MBC Scrapbooking said...

Happy birthday, beautiful girls!
LOVE the family pictures, and those cakes are amazing. I can't believe it's been a year since I was glued to your blog, checking on an hourly basis to see if the girls had been born yet....
Hope you are settling in okay and getting used to your "new" life:)
Love,
C:)

Jenilee said...

wow! your baby girls are adorable! Happy Birthday to them! :) and that cake is pretty cute too :)

Shannon K. said...

Ah, Melis...they're lucky to have you as their mother. Truly blessed.

You have me in tears, as usual.

Katie said...

Wow, Happy Birthday Addie and Jordan! You have expressed so beautifully what an incredible gift children are in our life. I know you think it all the time and have probably heard it so much, but it goes by so fast! Nice job on the cake too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What I Write About...

babyfood making (14) blogging (30) Brain Vomit (11) breastfeeding (3) bugs (2) children (88) cooking (5) crafts (1) family (28) friendship (10) germs (4) house (6) housework (41) humor (50) life (60) manners (3) marriage (12) me (40) parenting (46) pet bunny (5) photographs (64) politics (1) pregnancy (15) recipes (2) reflections (50) relationships (5) school (2) summer (10) toddler food (5) TV (3) twins (19) weird (4)