Saturday, June 12, 2010

Remembering the Good...

Now that we're removed from our time in Virginia, it's a little easier to appreciate it.  We were really fortunate to have been able to live there; we have some amazing memories that I'll always treasure... even though it was hard to see it for what it was - another adventure for our family.  Luckily I remembered to snap a few pictures on the last walk I took with the kiddos along the waterfront down the street from our house.  I just wanted to get the heck out of there, but I knew I'd want to be able to show Jack and the girls photos of our old stompin' grounds...

These are a few of our favorite sights:



It was a pretty special place... After dinner we would "go for a walk to the water to see boats" and were never disappointed in the strange serenity that came from the western branch of the Elizabeth River lapping the rocks with the freeway overpass rumbling monotonously overhead... and even on the hottest days we could count on the breeze to cool us down.

It wasn't our favorite place in the world, but it wasn't the worst.  And for a while, it was our place in the world, which made it perfect.  It's where our family grew from 3 to 5.  It's where I learned some of the most important lessons of my life.  I miss it...  I've missed all the places we've lived.  6 states in 5 years.

But we're home now.  And looking forward to coming back here after we visit all our old places someday.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I love those photos, and I love that no matter where you are you make it your home, because you're together.

Tanya said...

Love those photos! No one could ever guess that was Portsmouth...tee hee hee. ;o) Miss you!

Stacey said...

Beautiful pictures. Sometimes you have to leave to really appreciate where you were.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What I Write About...

babyfood making (14) blogging (30) Brain Vomit (11) breastfeeding (3) bugs (2) children (88) cooking (5) crafts (1) family (28) friendship (10) germs (4) house (6) housework (41) humor (50) life (60) manners (3) marriage (12) me (40) parenting (46) pet bunny (5) photographs (64) politics (1) pregnancy (15) recipes (2) reflections (50) relationships (5) school (2) summer (10) toddler food (5) TV (3) twins (19) weird (4)