Friday, March 21, 2008

My Yard Hates Me

Well, because I have to keep busy and because I feel that every child deserves a yard he can run barefoot in without risk of death, I busted my tail today to rake up every prickey-pod and leaf and pull every bizzare weed I could find.

I have a big yard.

And I had a LOT of prickey-pods. What are those anyway? Some kind of seed from those big, useless trees on my neighbor's lot I suppose? And I'm fairly certain that if I took the time to record each find, I'd be able to successfully claim the discovery of at least 3 new species of weed. Seriously, there were THAT many weeds... but they're often clever and disguise themselves as grass and only pop out after you've combed over a patch of sod 3 different times.

But I did it. 7 wheelbarrow loads later, I'm pretty sure my life will be shorter by a year thanks to the random assortment of bug bites I sustained from what I'm sure are also as-yet un-documented kinds of weird tropical bugs. The Amazon has got absolutely nothing on Southeast Georgia when you're talking about a lot that was, as little as 18 months ago, swampy forest.

That being said, I did survive and managed to put 4 tomato plants in the ground, two pepper plants, a mint plant and create a nice little flower bed that I will probably never enjoy due to afore-mentioned bugs. Probably the greatest achievement of the day, though, has to be my tan. I guess all is not lost after all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What I Write About...

babyfood making (14) blogging (30) Brain Vomit (11) breastfeeding (3) bugs (2) children (88) cooking (5) crafts (1) family (28) friendship (10) germs (4) house (6) housework (41) humor (50) life (60) manners (3) marriage (12) me (40) parenting (46) pet bunny (5) photographs (64) politics (1) pregnancy (15) recipes (2) reflections (50) relationships (5) school (2) summer (10) toddler food (5) TV (3) twins (19) weird (4)